Create Your Environment For Aging Gracefully
The Golden Years is what retirement has been called, but are they really so golden if you must leave your home because it no longer meets your needs? Your retirement years truly should be golden, and with the right help, you can age gracefully in your own home, no matter what develops. Here are just a few tips on how to make sure you have the support you need.
– Start by building a support network. Your significant other is a good place to start. You may also want to rely on children, friends, family members, and more to make certain you have people you can turn to when difficulties arise. The stronger your network, the easier it will be to find someone to help when real problems crop up.
– Evaluate your home. Before an accident occurs, it’s best to do a walkthrough of your home. There are lots of different risks to older adults in the home, and taking a closer look at them is an absolute must. The CDC suggests falls are the leading cause of death through injury among older adults. Adding support in the shower, new stair railings, increased lighting, and non-skid flooring can all help to prevent those dangers. Additionally, installing modifications like stairlifts, sliding shelves, and walk-in showers are all ways to keep your home as safe as possible.
– Look at all of the rugs in the house. Throw rugs of any kind, whether they’re in the bathroom, kitchen, or just at the door, they’re a serious hazard.
– Think carefully about entryway spaces everywhere. They need to be wide enough for a walker, cane, or wheelchair at some point in time.
– Lighting is as important as any other feature in the home. You’ll want to make sure there is enough in each room, and make certain you use high wattage bulbs to keep it as bright as possible.
– Think carefully about safety in the kitchen. You should be able to reach both the stove and the faucet and turn them off and on easily.
– Find professionals who can help. There are many different professionals who may be able to help you at home on a daily basis. Talk to your personal support network about where you might have trouble. For example, you may want a daily money manager, an occupational therapist, a contractor who can provide upkeep services to your home to help you safely live in it, or even a personal cook to make certain you have food in the refrigerator to eat regularly. There are many companies that specialize in services for those who wish to age gracefully at home, and identifying them right away is a must.
You don’t have to leave your home to enjoy those happy, golden years, but you may have to make a few changes to your lifestyle.